Background

Dilemma

Let me preface this by saying that Braeden's teacher sent home a notice about homework. She said that each of their homework assignments are reviews of things they have already learned in class and that it is okay to give examples to help the student do their homework correctly, but each student needs to do the homework on their own. The homework is graded and needs to be done only by the student.


Well, Braeden started wrestling this week. He has practice on Monday and Wednesday evenings. This makes for two hectic nights a week. Those are the same nights I workout with my trainer and Brenna also goes to AWANA at church on Wednesdays.
Wednesday this week was crazy! Once I got off work and picked up both kids from each of their schools, we had less than 30 mins to get dinner, let the dogs out and feed them, unpack backpacks, do homework, and change into wrestling clothes before we had to be out the door again. Has anyone else ever tried to put on wrestling shoes? This takes a full 5 mins alone!!

Anyways, Braeden told me that he had completed his homework at his after school program, YCare. I was glad about that, but I still had to look through his backpack to make sure he had really finished it. One of the directions on the homework was to color in the box if the two pictures rhymed. I noticed there was one box that had a bat and a rat that was not colored in. I know that Braeden probably thought the picture was of a mouse and not a rat, and therefore did not color it in. So there I was with a dilemma. Do I get out the crayons, set Braeden down and explain why he should have colored that box in and let him color it in? Well, there was no time for that. Do I let him miss the points for that part of the homework? Or do I grab a crayon really fast, color in the box myself, and stick it back in his backpack? I opted for choice number 3! I even colored outside of the lines to make it seem like he did it. I hope his teacher never sees this blog! Seriously!

I will have to admit that this is not the first time that I have been "overly helpful" with one of Braeden's assignments. At the beginning of the year, each student brought home a square piece of paper that they were to decorate in ways that represented their family. Then the class made a quilt out of them. The students were supposed to sit down with their families and do it together. This was Braeden's...
I scrapbooked the whole paper myself! Does it look like a Kindergartner had anything to do with this project?
Before anyone passes judgement, Braeden does really well at school all on his own. His test scores and grades prove that. I just want to do all I can for him! I'm his Mommy! For the record, Ed said that I should have just let Braeden miss the points on the homework.
As I am proofreading this blog, I am second guessing publishing it. I think it makes me sound really bad and kinda like cheater. I should have just let him miss the points! Bad Mommy choice!

2 comments:

Hahaha! I love that you colored outside the lines! :) Tell Ed who cares, it's not his ACT. And would that be a big deal? We want them to go to college, right? LOL

December 3, 2010 at 12:14 AM  

Exactly Cori! Everything I do is for his future and I want to give him every advantage...I think it is the Sumner Academy in us!

December 3, 2010 at 4:28 PM