There is a reality show on the We channel called Down-Sized. For those who are not familiar with this show, it is about a blended family that went from "having it all" to being broke and on government assistance. This show documents how they are changing their lifestyle and pulling together as a family to make it through these tough financial times. Ed and I really like the show and we watch it each week.
While we were watching it this weekend, I noticed that Braeden was not only picking up the toys that he had brought downstairs from the toy room, but also picking up his sister's toys. For the last couple of weeks he has been doing a really good job keeping the toy room cleaned up and just being really helpful around the house in general. The kids don't get an allowance yet, because there is really nothing we require them to do on a regular basis to earn the allowance, but after I saw how much Braeden was doing, I decided to give him $5. I wanted him to know that I have been noticing all he has been doing and that I appreciate it. He was excited to take the money.
Ten minutes later he brought the money back to me, telling me that I can have it back. Obviously being confused, I asked him why. He said that he wanted me to have it so we can keep our house. HE HAD BEEN WATCHING THE SHOW WITH US WHILE HE WAS PICKING UP THE TOYS AND I DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE!! This family is always trying to find ways on the show to make extra money so they don't lose their house.
I was so proud of him for thinking of our family first, but explained to him that our house is not in jeopardy of being taken and that he earned the money so I would like him to keep it. You never know what kids are picking up on, on TV or just all around them and how their mind is processing what they are seeing. I do think teaching your children how to be responsible with money is an important lesson and maybe this TV show has just started Braeden on his way to a responsible financial future.
0 comments:
Post a Comment