I have come to accept my role in Ed's work life. He goes out of town and I take care of the kids. He takes clients out to dinner, goes to business seminars/meeting, goes to conventions and I go along as "his wife" to look good, be charming, and paint a smile on my face. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed a lot of fun trips with Ed's work, but I know my role.
I have asked Ed before if he is ever embarrassed by the fact that I am a Dental Hygienist. He said he absolutely was not and asked me why I would even say that. It was because I always get the same reaction, especially from engineers. It is the "Oh...that's nice, she must be kinda stupid" look. Well, I got it last night and I about lost it.
This female engineer asked me what I did and I told her I was a Dental Hygienist and she replied with, "Oh...that's fun." FUN? What in the world is fun about it? I clean infected, bleeding, odor-filled gums with week-old food lodged in-between teeth. Except, she didn't really mean "fun". With the drawn-out way she said it and the stupid little grin on her face, I know what she meant was "what a stupid little bimbo." After she replied that way to me, Ed just looked at me because he knew how I felt. I am not a violent person, but I wanted to slap that stupid grin off of her face.
Am I to assume that she is a dorky nerd because she is a female engineer. She clearly thinks she is better and smarter than other people and I cannot stand that attitude. I told Ed for the remainder of the evening, I was just going to say that I stay home and take care of the kids. It would just be an easier response and one that is acceptable. But, then I decided that I couldn't do that. I am who I am. I do what I do. I know that I am a smart person and that my career deserves respect.
Getting accepted into hygiene school is very competitive and my job completely exhausts me mentally and physically everyday. I deal with lots of attitude from the public. I make sure that people's mouths stay as healthy as possible because it is connected to the rest of their body. The links between periodontal disease and cardiovascular disease, diabetes, preterm birth, and lots more cannot be ignored. There has to be a reason that the average full-time dental hygienist in the Kansas City area gets paid an average of $75,000/year. It's not because we are stupid or a bimbo who sleeps with the Dentist, as most often seen in movies. We deserve respect and from now on I will let anyone know that who says differently. Except, of course, Ed's clients because they are always right, no matter what. Don't you love it?
Cori said...
What an odd reaction from the female engineer. I would never think anything negative about a dental hygienist. You have a degree for goodness sake! Of course it takes brains.
Annoying people.
March 12, 2010 at 11:34 AM