1 year ago
When I was pregnant with Braeden my Mom bought me a book called, "The Power of a Positive Mom" by, Karol Ladd. I've tried to read this book multiple times, but I have never really been able to get into it. Recently I decided to give it another try and this time I am really enjoying it and I am learning so much. I asked myself, what was different about reading this book now? Why do I feel I am gaining so much encouragement and knowledge from it now? Why can't I wait to put the kids to bed at night so I can continue reading it? I think the answer is that I have children old enough to be able to relate to the topics being discussed. The truth is that parenting a toddler and preschooler is much different than being a parent to an infant. I am responsible for how these children are going to be raised and what values will be instilled in them. It is my job to make sure my children become respectful, kind, caring adults and this book has some very good advice on how to do that and I love that each chapter ends with a prayer.
Last night a read a chapter titled, "The Beauty of a Smile". The point of this chapter was to explain how much of an impact a smile can have on your children. It seems like such a simple thing, but it really can make a big impact. "A simple smile, offered on a regular basis, can make a world of difference on the way our children view their days, their lives-and their mothers"! I learned so much from this one statement. I am the person my children will look to when they are having a bad day and need some encouragement or when they just need to feel secure. A smile will accomplish this. It lets them know that I understand, I care, and I am in their corner. This book said to smile even when you don't feel like smiling. We all need to make an effort to live positively and a smile is a simple gift to give.
I highly recommend this book. I think that most Moms will enjoy reading it and will gain some insight into raising Christian children.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Cori said...
Okay, I will have to check this book out. Also, I really understand what you mean about how different it is when you're parenting children who can DISOBEY and TALK BACK, as opposed to infants. I love the judgmental feeling I get from moms of babies when I say certain things. You don't know until you get there is becoming my motto.
Love the pic, too. So happy to see Brenna tomorrow!
April 2, 2009 at 10:16 PM