Background

The Pollyanna Game

Has everyone seen the movie Pollyanna? It was one of my favorite movies as a child. My sister and I would watch it over and over again. Until just last night I didn't realize the important lesson that one can learn from this movie. Remember "The Glad Game"? It was such a big part of the movie. Pollyanna would always find something to be glad about in any situation. The book I am reading, "The Power of a Positive Mom" explains that we should look for something to be thankful about in every situation and circumstance. For example, we all HATE laundry. But, how lucky are we that we have clothes to wear to keep ourselves and our children warm. We all HATE doing dishes, but how many starving people are there in this world? We should be glad that we have food to eat that gets all of those dishes dirty!

I don't mean to sound "preachy", but I just thought I would share this idea with everyone. By taking depression meds and being in a very bad place emotionally at one point, I have learned that looking at the positive aspects of my life can do wonders for my mental health. Don't get me wrong, I think meds are necessary but I also think it is good to be proactive in making yourself feel better. Playing "The Glad Game" does this for me. We only become strong people by surviving tough circumstances. We should look at all of the trials in our lives as lessons to learn and ways to build our character. I am glad God put the burden of depression in my life, because I am learning to see the "brighter side" of everything.

1 comments:

Boy, Kelly the past two blog posts have been wonderful. You really do bring things to my attention. I want to go purchase that book. It sounds wonderful. I am glad you are my friend! Thanks so much for sharing you.

April 14, 2009 at 9:20 PM