Brenna challenges me everyday-intentionally. You can see it in her face. She looks for a reaction. She tries to be as shocking as possible to me. She tries to get a rise out of me. She wants me to get upset. Notice I say, "me, me, me" in most of those statements because she treats Ed completely different. By now I have accepted her behavior towards me and can deal with it (even emotionally).
But...the other day, she said something that to me was very telling. I was watching a Lifetime movie (one of my favorite things to do!) and there was a woman crying. Brenna seemed very concerned about her and asked what was wrong. She said, "Mama, what is wrong with her? Why is she crying? Does she need her Mama?" DOES SHE NEED HER MAMA?? Why would she say that? Obviously she feels that her Mama is someone that can help her when she is upset and someone that she can turn to when there is a problem. I knew she loved me-deep down!
I know that this may seem like a harsh mother/daughter relationship to most reading this, but it is ours. We do have our good times too (a lot of them) and they are actually becoming more good times than bad. She has even started telling me that.."you (mama) are the best!" and I love to hear that. It seems that with each day, as she continues to get older, we continue to have a better relationship and she continues to develop more respect for me. I can only hope and pray that this continues.
0 comments:
Post a Comment