I love the innocent TV shows that the kids like to watch...Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Dora, Little Einsteins, Handy Manny, and Special Agent Oso. Braeden can use the remote somewhat, like the On/Off button or volume, but he cannot use the satellite Guide button to change the channel and Brenna cannot use the remote at all. So, they watch what I put on the TV. That is why it has surprised me that within the last 2 weeks both children have revealed that they are now fans of Hannah Montana and Justin Bieber(I don't even know if that is how you spell his name, just using the I before E rule).
Brenna mentioned Hannah Montana in the car about 2 weeks ago and I asked her how she knows who that is. Of course she had no answer. Braeden announced last week that he wants a Justin Bieber guitar for Christmas. Ed and I just looked at each other and gave the "what did he just say" look. I don't know why, but I just don't like the whole crazy popularity of these teen stars. Actually, I am sure the reason that I don't like it or don't get it is because I am "old"--I suppose I did love New Kids on the Block back in the day, but I would rather my kiddos still love Mickey Mouse!
This is just another one of those transition moments that remind me that they are getting older and obviously learning things from other kids. I wish I could bottle up their innocence, because each day I am remined that it is slipping away.
Hilary said...
OH NO! Zachary will come home from preschool and mention things that I am shocked that he knows about. Nothing bad but about certain big kid toys and such. Obviously the kids in his class have older siblings but still....can't they stay innocent forever?
Hope you had a great b-day. Roz and I were dicussing how we miss our DH B-day party with you. :)
November 13, 2010 at 10:28 PM