Background

My Child Has What??

At Braeden's 5-year well visit, our Pediatrician suggested that we get Braeden's blood drawn to check for high cholesterol. My family and Ed's family both suffer from high cholesterol and heart/blood pressure issues. First of all, let me say that I adore our Pediatrician! I have referred all of my friends and family with children to her and they love her too, but I thought this was a little aggressive. I did not want to make Braeden go through getting his blood drawn for something that I felt was certainly not going to be a problem. High cholesterol? HE IS 5 YEARS OLD! Well, I am sure you know how the results came out. Braeden's cholesterol was high. How did this happen?

When I called the office for his results, the nurse told me that it was time for a lifestyle change. I was kind of in shock when I was talking to her on the phone, so I just sort of agreed with what she was saying and hung up the phone. I felt like the most horrible Mom in the world. How did I let this happen? But the more I thought about everything, I realized that maybe there wasn't much I could have done differently. I cook dinner at home almost every night and never fry anything. We have fast food once or twice a month. I don't think that is excessive at all. Perhaps the nurse should have asked about our "lifestyle" before asking me to change it. Maybe there is something genetic going on. Anyone who has seen Braeden knows he is definitely not obese. He is a thin, active 5 year old boy. Every Mom wants their children to be as healthy as possible, so I guess this will be something we will need to keep an eye on.

2 comments:

You know, that seems pretty ignorant to me that she mentioned lifestyle changes. If he is displaying high cholesterol at age 5, there's clearly a genetic issue there. I would make sure that you and Ed are tested as well, if you haven't been already.
I had a cardiologist tell me once that you can only lower cholesterol by 10 - 25% through diet if you're of a normal weight and exercise regulary. And I'm sure a 5 year old gets lots of exercise. After that, he felt it took medication to get those numbers down. But I know that the medications can be hard on the liver, and have side effects, so it's a tough call....I do have patients who take certain herbs that they swear by. ? But I would think about seeing a specialist for recommendations if your family doctor doesn't come up with a good plan.
My stepbrother was put on cholesterol meds when he was about 16---perfect body weight, athlete, normal kid diet....but my stepdad had his first heart attack at 31, so they knew that there was a genetic component.
You're great parents, and this is not your fault, like you said. How wonderful that you found out now! You will save Braeden from a lot of negative health issues down the road by early diagnosis.

May 2, 2010 at 3:16 PM  

Cori-thanks so much for all of the info and encouragement!!

May 2, 2010 at 4:21 PM