Background

Patience

Dear God,
I pray that you will help me to have more patience with my children. I pray that you will help me to take a deep breath and try to calm down before I raise my voice to my children. They deserve to have a mom that can take a moment to observe the situation before jumping to conclusions or quickly handing out punishments. Help me to know when my children need to be corrected and when they are "just being children". I pray you will help me to be the best mom to Braeden and Brenna that I can. Amen.

Lately, I have noticed that my temper is getting the best of me. I don't know if it is all of the pressure of Christmas, shopping, wrapping, decorating, school programs, school parties, gift exchanges, work Christmas parties, everyday chores, and a husband that is constantly out-of-town, but I have not been as patient with my children and they deserve more.

For example, Brenna is NOT a morning person and any little thing will set her off. When I say set her off, I mean a complete tantrum of screaming at the top of her lungs and throwing herself onto the floor. One of the mornings last week when we experienced some snow/ice, she had a complete meltdown before we left for school . By the time I loaded the kids in the car, I was at the end of my rope (Ed was out of town). As we pull out of the driveway into the street Brenna starts screaming what I thought was "NO, NO, NO!" I turned around and YELLED, "If I hear the word "NO" one more time..." and then she just looked at me with sad eyes and said, "Snow, Mama." She had been saying, "SNOW, SNOW, SNOW!"

The two words sound so similar, but I was clearly wrong. That was when I realized that I needed to ask for God to help me with my patience. Brenna is only 2 years old. She needs a mom that can deal with a little tantrum, but keep calm in the midst of it. Braeden deserves the same. I think it is important to always strive to be better, especially when it comes to our children.

3 comments:

You are not alone, Kelly.
I go to bed more often than not feeling guilty for being too impatient with at least one of them. It's hard. And it usually seems harder when Johnny's working nights, so I understand how hard it must be having Ed out of town. Hang in there. We'll make it.

December 17, 2009 at 10:33 PM  

Thanks Cori!

December 19, 2009 at 11:51 AM  

Kelly, your words are beautiful and introspective. Your kids are lucky to have a mom who is evaluating her own behavior and thoughts and always striving to do better. With God on your side, you can make any improvements you want!

January 8, 2010 at 11:55 AM